We want St. Leonard’s Catholic Primary School to be a happy and safe place for all, where we treat each person in a respectful manner and live the true message of the gospel.
For school to be a positive experience for all students, wellbeing must be a priority; it is the foundation on which all academic and social learning is built.
We believe that there is a shared responsibility between parents and school staff to work together in guiding and encouraging children, so that they develop a healthy self-esteem, are optimistic and resilient, and have the capacity to develop positive and caring relationships with each other and with adults in their lives.
To support this environment within the school, we include the following programs and strategies:
- ‘Whole school approach to Social-Emotional Learning through the following programs: You Can Do It’ , ‘Play is the Way’ & ‘Friends for Life’ to encourage resilience.
- ‘Kidsmatter’ Program launched in 2011.
- Explicit teaching of social skills in all areas.
- Whole school approach to ‘Values Education’
- Buddy Program
- Student Leadership Teams
- Religious Education
- Participation in Social Justice activities (e.g. Caritas)
- Wellbeing Centre opened every lunchtime
- Peer Mediation program
- Seasons – a program to assist students to deal with loss and grief.
- Student support programs
- Transition programs
- Full time Wellbeing /Student Services Coordinator
- On site access to school counsellor/psychologist
- Restorative Justice Approach to discipline issues
- Medication, Asthma and Anaphylactic health plans.
- Develop common understandings, consistent processes and procedures for student referral.