St Leonard’s staff brainstormed the types of skills, attitudes and abilities that a child should be able to demonstrate upon leaving our school at the completion of Year 6.
We have a shared belief that to be a successful student and citizen entering secondary school the following would be vital. We therefore hold these to be our shared vision of teaching and learning.
Our Shared Vision
At the completion of Year 6 each child will be academically, emotionally and socially prepared for the next phase of development, demonstrating the following skills and attitudes:
- to be both literate and numerate
- to be empowered in the means of creative expression
- to work collaboratively and value diversity
- to be open minded, empathetic, inclusive and accepting of differences
- to be independent and organised
- to have effective interpersonal communication skills in a variety of contexts
- to inquire, research, analyse, question and reflect as an effective and creative problem solver
- to be a responsible, ethical and informed global and digital citizen demonstrating respect for opinions, culture, laws and the environment
- to be resilient, connected with others, have healthy relationships and a positive approach to life’s opportunities and challenges
- to appreciate and develop the Catholic faith and apply Gospel values in life
- to make choices which positively impact on health and wellbeing
- to be outward facing with a strong sense of social justice
The implications for all teaching staff at St Leonard’s is that we must constantly reflect upon our teaching practice to enable the items listed above to flourish.
If we maintain that that it is vital for children to have an ability to ‘work collaboratively’ then it is incumbent upon all of us to provide learning situations that allow children to work collaboratively.
If we maintain that that it is vital for children ‘to be empowered in the means of creative expression’ then it is incumbent upon all of us to provide learning situations that allow children to express their creative expression in all areas.